The Roman Catholic Churches of
Sacred Heart Goudhurst
St Barnabas Hawkhurst
Father Patrice Anyanwu
The Presbytery, Beresford Road, Goudhurst, Kent, TN17 1DN
Welcome to our website. Our parish is part of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Southwark, and serves a widespread rural community in the Weald of Kent and neighbouring parts of East Sussex. We have strong relationships with other Christian communities in our area. If you are visiting this beautiful area we hope you will join us for Mass at one of our churches.
Masses will be at Sacred Heart Church, Goudhurst , Tuesday to Friday 09:30, Saturdays at 5.30pm and Sundays at 10.30am.
Masses will be at St Barnabas, Hawkhurst, at 8.30am on Sundays.
We will continue to Live Stream Mass at 5:30pm Saturdays and 10.30am every Sunday
Therefore from Saturday 24th /Sunday 25th July we will be adopting the following :
- A steward will remain at each service as a welcoming presence and will be available to answer any queries/concerns of parishioners
- Parishioners should either sign in for worship using the QR Code with the NHS app or sign in with the stewards on entering the church. Booking via
email is no longer required
- Face coverings are strongly recommended to be worn by those who attend services
- Hand sanitising stations will continue as now and all parishioners will be encouraged to hand sanitise on entry and leaving the church
- There will be increased capacity with majority of benches in use. An area at the back of each church will be available for parishioners who wish to remain
socially distanced. Please advise the Steward that you wish to sit in this area and they will do their best to accommodate you.
- Ventilation of the church will continue
- Congregational singing is permitted and it is recommended that face coverings should be worn whilst singing together until infections reduce
- The stewards will continue to advise when parishioners can leave their seats for Holy Communion
- Holy Water Stoups will not be in use
- Mass Books and Hymn Books will be used
- Candles are available and candle stands may be used
- Offertory Collections will be reinstated. However please consider using a standing order for your offerings
- Holy Communion will continue to be under one kind only
- The physical Sign of the Peace remains suspended
Please be considerate as you exit the church and avoid getting too close to others
Every Friday morning at 10am Father Patrice will be saying a Mass from his home for sick parishioners, their families and friends. This Mass is also dedicated to those who are mourning and grieving.
|Father Vic's retirement update
At the beginning of this year Fr Vic announced his intention to retire at Easter, but delays in the availability of a retirement flat have caused him to put this off for several months. A suitable flat is now likely to be ready in the next month or two and Fr Vic will soon be able to take his well-earned retirement.
In parallel with the efforts to find a retirement home we are pleased to let you know that the diocese has identified a replacement for Fr Vic as parish priest. Fr Patrice Anyanwu, a member of the Congregation of the Holy Spirit, a ‘Holy Ghost Father’, has been one of the parish priests at St Mary Magdalen, Brockley, south London, for the last couple of years. A talented footballer and tennis player, before coming to London Fr Patrice was in charge of the formation of the postulants to the Spiritans in his Nigerian Province. He will be taking over from Fr Vic on the first of August and they will share the Presbytery until Fr Vic moves to his retirement flat. We look forward to giving Fr Patrice a tremendous welcome.
We are enormously grateful to Fr Vic for the 35 years of service that he has given to our community, for his warm-hearted generosity and deeply lived leadership in the Catholic faith. We will be organising a retirement party during the summer and will be taking collections for a retirement present. We will share details once arrangements are in place.
|Prayer of Intention for September : Universal Intention.
We pray that we will all make courageous choices for a simple and environmentally sustainable lifestyle, rejoicing in our young people who are resolutely
committed to this.
a link - to the excellent Goudhurst
and Kilndown Anglican Churches website
If you are
interested in your children taking part please email
|Don't forget the Food Bank collection point at the Sacred Heart Church, Goudhurst! Food is distributed by St Augustine's, Tunbridge Wells, to those recommended by local GPs and Social Services. Suggested non-perishable items for donation: tinned food either savoury or sweet, pasta, packets, soups, jams, cereal, long life milk, squash. If you got one free, why not donate it??|